Thursday, 28 May 2009

Florence Nightingale I am not...

So, we are into the third day of the world vomiting championships and inbetween phone calls from the environmental health people and causing the share price of Dioralyte to skyrocket, I am swiftly realising that nursing was not my calling.

Don't get me wrong, I do not begrudge for a moment the care of lovely Tom and would gladly look after him for ages but I just don't think I'm very good at it!

I have tried to tempt the poor little chap with morsels of delicious food but he doesn't seem to think that a whole pineapple is a very good idea on a dodgy tummy or that a tin of heinz beans and sausages is good recovery food.

I'm a bit scuppered you see. Tom can't eat any dairy so out the window go the usual staple "poorly" foods of rice pudding, cream of tomato soup and hot chocolate. After 4 days, the poor lad's got a little bit of an appetite back and I can't seem to find anything he likes or can stomach. This has lead to a total of 3 separate shopping trips to Somerfield to buy everything from the whole pineapple (am sure Gillian McKeith says it's good for digestion) to savoury rice, hula hoops, nesquik powder with soya milk (do not try this - you will vomit for a week) and ginger nuts.

We have settled on the ginger nuts for now and I have left Tom tucked up on the sofa with an army of gingerbread men, some flat lemonade and a duvet. I have escaped for an hour as have to meet with my best mate who has spent the morning in the GU clinic and is panicking over some strange symptoms. I am therefore going from the frying pan into the fire and am meeting her at the pub in a bit to go over the details of her affliction. I can see now why Florence Nightingale won so many accolades and awards. She is a saint. I am simply sh*t.

I am also suffering from a new addiction. I admit it. I stand up and say to you all, "I am addicted to ebay".

Now, you may find this hard to believe but it's not the buying I'm addicted to, it's the selling. I never realised there was such a market out there for clothing! I've sold over £300 in the last couple of weeks and have got about the same again to sell over the next few weeks. our village post office thinks I'm running some kind of courier business and i am covered in scraps of parcel tape with a camera permanently slung around my neck.

I am also paying all my proceeds into Tom's bank account to put towards some of our holidays etc as I'm so flippin rubbish with money that I know I'd just buy more clothes if I put it in my account. The only problem is, I just can't stop selling and if it's not nailed down at the moment, I'm flogging it; what with e-bay and my new found love of car booting, I am soon going to be living in a shell of a house!

Speaking of houses, here's the link to my brother's most recent one that's he's just finished building. Who's a clever boy then! You may recognise some of the rooms from photos I've posted on here. I'm dead proud of him and am so chuffed he's managed to do it all by himself with his fiancee. It used to be a tiny bungalow and he's turned it into this! If you copy and paste the link then on the right move site go to the "brochure" you'll be able to see my clever little bro's work in all it's glory. Oh, and you can play, "spot the photo backdrop!" Oh, and the second link is the one to my house. I'm taking it off the market now so it'll only be live for a couple more days but you can play "spot the backdrop" there too! oh, and I apologise for the kitchen; as you know, I am currently in the process of renovating and have already instructed a carpenter to start fitting a new one - it really is a monstrosity at the moment! Luckily the industrial sized boiler that you can see in this picture has now gone and is a neat little one in my airing cupboard now. Instead I have a delightful giant hole in my kitchen wall. Where's DIY SOS when you need them??!!

Anyway, I'd better go; time to strap on my nurse's cape, reach for the thermometer and venture into the world of medicine again.

Will update again soon

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25806026.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^11460&minBedrooms=4&maxDaysSinceAdded=14&displayPropertyType=houses&oldDisplayPropertyType=houses&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FsearchType%3DSALE%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E11460%26radius%3D0.0%26displayPropertyType%3Dhouses%26minBedrooms%3D4%26maxBedrooms%3D%26minPrice%3D%26maxPrice%3D%26maxDaysSinceAdded%3D14%26retirement%3D%26partBuyPartRent%3Dfalse%26_includeSSTC%3Don%26x%3D106%26y%3D12%26sortByPriceDescending%3D%26primaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26newHome%3D%26auction%3Dfalse


My house...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-19164007.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^914&minBedrooms=2&minPrice=160000&maxPrice=170000&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html%3FsearchType%3DSALE%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E914%26radius%3D0.0%26displayPropertyType%3D%26minBedrooms%3D2%26maxBedrooms%3D%26minPrice%3D160000%26maxPrice%3D170000%26maxDaysSinceAdded%3D%26retirement%3D%26partBuyPartRent%3Dfalse%26_includeSSTC%3Don%26x%3D73%26y%3D9%26sortByPriceDescending%3D%26primaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26newHome%3D%26auction%3Dfalse

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're both feeling so poorly. My brother had salmonella when he was younger and it's not fun. He lived on a diet of flat lemonade, ginger biscuits and toast for about 2 weeks before he could stomach anything else, so I don't envy Tom at all!

Take care of yourselves xx

Tori-liz

me said...

My nanna always swore by arrowroot biscuits when you have been ill. Hope your both feeling better soon.

Soya milk was maybe not a wise move :)