Thursday, 29 January 2009

Come wine with me!

Oh Christ. Why do I do it to myself? Why do I put myself through this torture?

I am feeling like death again.

Today's top tip is as follows...... Half a cinnamon bagel does not count as a meal and will not line your stomach sufficiently when consuming your mother's finest sherry and then two very large glasses of rioja at the pub.

Last night went a little awry. Tom was really late so we had to cancel dinner and instead just met my brother, his fiancee and my best mate at the pub. They had all just eaten their own bodyweight in fajitas (and my brother annoyed me all night with hideous fajita burps) so didn't want to eat. Tom had already eaten so I was the only one with nothing in their tummy.

Error.

We had a great night though and have cooked up the most amazing plan. As you know, I'm addicted to come dine with me. If anyone saw the celebrity one where Lesley Joseph cooked that lamb, it is pure comedy gold. I almost strained my diaphragm I laughed that hard.

Anyway, I don't know how we got onto the subject, but we decided we were going to do our own come dine with me. My brother is going to use my mum's house, his fiancee their house, I'm at mine, and then my mate and Tom are at their houses. We all drew lots and of course I got ruddy "5" which means I'm going last when noone wants to eat anything and can't face drink.

We've all got to have a theme and then we're going to video it and put it on youtube! My brother's fiancee's theme is "chav" and she's doing findus crispy pancakes in the hottub, mine is "Hollywood glamour", Tom's is "Aussie night" (don't know why he's gone all antipodean on me, he's half Scottish), my brother's is "pancake night" and my mate is yet to decide. Her idea of "kebab night" or "bring your own" wasn't that well received.

After shouting at my brother for about half an hour about why he wouldn't let me swap with Tom so i could go first, we agreed that it woudl be during the school Easter holidays and that we would do it every other night so that people's livers could recover. I can't bloomin wait. Tom was already winding me up this morning though that I'll get really stressed, my puddings won't rise and I'll end up in tears in the pantry having a massive princess hissy fit. Sad thing is, he's not too far off the mark. My competitive edge is already kicking in and I was reading cookery books this morning in my bobble hat and fleece combo as I cracked the ice on the top of my cornflakes.

So, any killer recipes gratefully received. I am determined not to come last. Although Tom with his "homemade butterscotch flambe" may well land us all in A&E with third degree burns so the bottom spot may be safe.

We celebrated our idea with my mate accidentally knocking over all the fire pokers and coal skuttles by the pub fireplace and having a teenage glass collector descend on us with the world's largest dustpan and brush - i swear it was taller than they were.

I'm now nursing my wine hangover in my office and thanking god that my boss isn't in today and that I'm not teaching til 11 this morning. Happiness is a herbal tea and a paracetamol behind a closed door.

Anyway, will update again soon, I'm off to brew up some camomile and hunt for some nurofen.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

6 comments:

Twirly said...

tHey Emmy!

Many thanks for your advice on my blog! I know you are right!

Hope you have fun with the come dine with me nights!! Sounds like so much fun!!

Gemma AKA Twirly

Anonymous said...

wow what a great idea! sould like fun!

I'm thinking fantastic coktails for your theme and maybe you could do ice cream or sorbet with wafers/lady fingers and fresh berrys served in cocktail glasses (possibly with a sprinkle of edible glitter?)! Ice cubes in the shapes of diamonds in the drinks, and some kind of glamorous main course!

I have a yummy dill and dijon mustard salmon recipe that is so easy to make (7 minutes under the grill!) and looks so posh if you dress the side dished up a little.

Let me know if you want the recipe!

Love Tori-liz xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Again Emmy

I absolutely love come dine with me, im glued to it every evening....Even got my husband on to watching it!

Funny enough me and my friends had the same idea that we should do a "come dine with me" and cook dinner for each other but they are all too lazy to participate!

x

Anonymous said...

Brilliant stuff. Could be a new series - "Come Dine With Me And My Imaginary Friends". Why don't you serve them fairy dust, and fly to each party on your magic broomstick?

Oh, and let me add my voice to those asking you to go back to the idea of publishing this blog as a novel. It was just hilarious when you used to get all excited about scheduling meetings with publishers, and bang on about being the new Helen Fielding. I seem to remember you always went a bit vague about how the actual meetings went, probably because they read some of your stuff and reached the correct conclusion - you can't write for toffee, are not at all funny, and only worth checking into every so often to see if you've cracked and gone back to the glory days of sleeping in a heap next to the radiator and checking into mental institutions.

Anonymous said...

Emmy - ignore the anonymous, abusive comments. If they're not brave enought to leave a name, then they're not big enough and bad enough to bother about. It really is absolutely pathetic.

You're not a sad couple for loving the show, by the way, myself and the h2b quite often watch the sunday catch up on e4 - 4 hours of it (I think?)! Brilliant fun, and probably the best thing on the telly on a sunday; it's rubbish otherwise.

Now, if only I could persuade the couples in our group to get in on a similar act, we'd be cooking with gas (grooooooooooan - ignore the pun!)!

-Mrs D 2 b

p.s Do you have an option on here where you can log the ip address of people who post? If so, can I suggest employing it so that you get a slight idea of who thinks it's acceptable to harrass you?

Anonymous said...

Oh, and obviously I meant your troll was pathetic, not you!

-Mrs D 2 b